Thursday, May 13, 2010

To Carb or Not to Carb--Diabetes Blog Week Day 4

When I was first diagnosed with diabetes a few years ago, I was really confused about what I was supposed to eat and not eat. During my hospital stay, I was taught about all the restrictions I would have to put on my diet. A nutritionist visited me and completely overwhelmed me with all these new rules. I was given a chart that showed examples of types of meals I should be eating for breakfast, lunch, dinner and for snacks. I was not even allowed to go over a certain amount of calories per week. I was about 88 pounds at this point and the thought of being on a diet confused me to no end. Did the hospital not see me? I was wilting away to nothing! I was completely miserable after leaving the hospital because I was always hungry and was not gaining any of my weight back. During my first visit to my endocrinologist at the time, I was asked why I still weighed around 90 pounds. I told him that I was put on a strict diet that entailed measuring out all my food. He explained that I really could be eating anything I wanted just as long as I gave myself enough insulin to cover the amount of carbs I was eating. I was so excited to eat a cheeseburger right after that appointment! I still don’t know why the hospital made me watch my calorie intake!

Nowadays, I really do eat whatever I want, just as long as I measure out the right amount of insulin for what my meal is. I do, however, still eat as healthy as I can, with some fried foods thrown in there too. If there is a sugar free or “light” option for something, I’ll usually go with that (unless it’s chocolate. I can’t eat sugar free chocolate, it’s just not the same). While lows are never fun, sometimes I don’t mind them because it gives me an excuse to eat some sweets! I would consider my eating habits pretty normal and nothing really out of the ordinary!

2 comments:

  1. I can see a nutritionist talking about limiting carbs for a diabetic, but calories??? Especially, as you say, when you were down to 88 pounds. Crazy!! I'm glad you found what works for you. And yes, now that sugar is no longer forbidden (as it when 30 years ago when I was diagnosed) you'd better believe I'm never eating sugar-free chocolate again!! YUCK!

    ReplyDelete